Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Masterplans

Infocomm technology (ICT) is an integral part of Singapore today, as well as the lives of many in developed parts of the world. Many Filipino youths who are poorer struggle with the keyboard and only have basic competency in internet browsing, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Powerpoint, while most of the Nepalis I met in Nepal have never used a computer - some of them not having even seen one before - in a country with two routine power cuts every day. Nor do these Nepalis have email addresses. In comparison, our leaders are visionaries who foresaw society moving towards ICT and 'soft' technology

Developing the three Masterplans for ICT in education is not crucial for learning, but gives students an added advantage of being IT-literate, an aspect much coveted and expected in many jobs in advanced cities. The benefits are beyond the concerns of employability and job prospects, however. It allows one to be aware of and contribute to other communities in the world, and share a wealth of experience and information across the globe. Google Images provided on-time satellite images of Japan after the recent tsunami attack, allowing all who have internet access to the see how catastrophic the impact was. Such external reports were timely when telecommunications was severely disrupted in the affected areas, and eventually led to many fundraisers in Singapore springing up to give Japan financial aid.

I was first introduced to computers in Primary 4 when my English teacher brought my class to the school's computer lab for a series of lessons on how to use the computer. I remember feeling very anxious as I often felt lost and could not catch up. There was an entire jargon that we had to figure our way through such as mouse, keyboard, monitor, shut down, desktop, window. In fact I didn't learn all of those jargons and have only picked up many of them in recent years (I just didn't know what to call them before that). After some lessons, we started exploring and played our favorite touch typing software game or Microsoft Paint. Eventually we even learned how to type Mandarin on the computer using hanyu pinyin. Those times at the computer lab made me happy to choose the Computer Club for my CCA. At the Computer Club every Saturday, we spent the mornings selecting beautiful images of grass fields and 'pasting' cute pictures of rabbits and cats into the field and printed our work after that to hang up at home or put in our homework files. I believe this was part of Masterplan 1 in introducing basic computer literacy to most of us.


Along with in-school computer use, a educational software vendor came to my primary school and sold CDs teaching us creative writing. Cereal boxes were also giving away free storytelling and games CDs. By pestering our parents, my siblings and I managed to get them to buy a Personal Computer for us. We spent a lot of time together sharing and/or fighting over the computer. Good times.


ICT in secondary school and junior college was mainly powerpoint presentations during lessons. It was only when I was in upper secondary in 2003 when my younger teachers started using powerpoint slides for teaching. It was mainly a lot of copying off the slides, something that my Primary 6 sister was also doing last year. I liked it when my Geography and Biology teachers showed us flash animations of diagrams and processes. It helped me visualize and motivated me to give Geography a second chance after two former teachers killed the possibilities of me enjoying the subject. All lectures in junior college were powerpoint presentations. By then, we could judge whether the slides were good or not based on how wordy the slides were, how substantial or value-added the teacher's explanation (or rattling off) of the bullet points on the slides were, and whether the aesthetics worked for us. My Economics lecturer created fascinating and complex animations to illustrate to us big concepts and help us see the big picture of the market economy. Once, he needed to create a new slide to further elucidate his point. We were plain dumbfounded and were won over hands down at the speed he created animations and shapes on the spot! We respected him because he knew how to get concepts across.  

Based on what little experience I have in schools, I expect that Masterplan 3 will push me as a beginning teacher to keep abreast of mainstream technology. Last year I became very fascinated with YouTube and wanted to make my own videos. I learned audio recording with help from a sound engineer and picked up videography myself. It was all an utterly fun experience and I would spend four to seven hours on end just recording audio files or editing videos strangely without a sense of time. Going on ESE made me realize how valuable these skills I've picked up are. I hope to continue making videos out of personal interest when I become a teacher. The added benefit is that I see it motivating me to keep my technological literacy current.

Because students can quickly check the validity of my claims, I foresee that as an added disincentive to be ill-versed or ill-prepared in the lesson topic. I might have a lot of knowledge in many areas of a subject, but it would take just one, two, or three oopsies in just one area I'm weak in for students' professional impression of me to be undermined. Having shared access to knowledge through technology however, is a good way of reminding me that I should remain open-minded and humble to being corrected, and also being willing to update my knowledge if/when it alters. In this kind of atmosphere, hopefully collaborative learning will take place.

Also, I think that Masterplan 3 will be a good opportunity never too late for me to learn to be more socially sensitive, appropriate, and self-controlled. It will be difficult to tell students to be "discerning and responsible" ICT users if I do not walk the talk. During the first few days of ESE, I felt strange that I was checking my phone in the open in school as and when I liked when the teachers and students didn't. It took me a while to get used to the practice of limiting the use of digital devices that the teachers and discipline committee have set for the students.

No comments:

Post a Comment